Second fireworks in two days

Namine had more fun at her second fireworks, likely because this one didn’t hurt her chest.

We spent the morning sleeping. Well, Jessica and I did — rather, we tried to. Despite a certain six year old having been up waaay past her bedtime last night, she was still up at the crack of dawn. She entertained herself for the most part, but we eventually had to get up to be grown-ups.

I had planned on making omelettes for breakfast, but it turned out to be more like lunch. Then we joined my parents and sister for grilling out. Namine helped Jessica make a dessert called Spring Dump, which is pretty much exactly what it sounds like.

You just take all the ingredients, dump them in a bowl, and mix it together. It was a very cherry-laden thing — containing cherry Jell-O and cherry pie filling, so I didn’t care for it too much. Everybody else liked it, though.

We got a bit of a late start, leaving for the fireworks. Fortunately, it didn’t take long to drive there and we found a parking spot relatively close by. We settled in, and Namine wrapped herself up in her sleeping bag once again next to my sister.

Before it got dark, my sister, Namine, and I went looking for a vendor selling nachos. We never did find one, although we did manage to secure some fried cheese curds. Namine wheeled herself the entire time, both there and back. Despite all the excitement and newness of the past two days, I was — and am — very proud of Namine that she has continued to listen and stick close to us. Not once has she tried to take off on her own, and she’s kept well in mind how easy it would have been to get lost.

We had ended up leaving last night’s fireworks early because the booming in her chest was bothering her. I’m not certain of the reason; it could have been how the sound echoed off the buildings downtown or the lakefront water, or perhaps something else. But she was fortunate that the same pain never occurred tonight, and was able to enjoy the entirety of the evening’s fireworks.

After the fireworks were over, we headed back to my parents’ house to fire off some fireworks of our own. We’d already introduced Namine to sparklers, but she really took to them in the dark.

Jessica and I had picked up a bunch of home fireworks earlier today, so I set them off one by one at a safe distance down the driveway (although the occasional one still came a little close for comfort). Namine didn’t really care them that much, though; she’d already seen two nights of “real” fireworks, so she cared more about the things she could hold in her hand.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.